24-bit Digital Phase Shifters
Trinity Research Labs offer a new generation of digitally controlled phase shifters (DPS) on-chip. They combine an unprecedented phase resolution ( minimum 24 bit ) and dynamic range with maximum flexibility in terms of possible applications. Small size and low profile make them ideal for the implementation of ultra precision signal processing and high density mounting.
The DPS are available in four different operational frequency categories, namely A, I, R and H. The A-type covers an audio frequency range from 10 Hz to 10 kHz. The I-type covers an intermediate frequency range of 10 kHz to 1 MHz. The R-type covers a radio frequency range from 1 MHz to 50 MHz, and the H-type covers a high frequency range of up to 100 MHz. The latter one requires a special design and has a higher cost.
The central frequency can be set by end users through adding a few external components. A linearised version of the DPS uses a microprocessor controlled transfer function which provides a linear phase shift over a 40 degree range. Additionally, the DPS contains an internal section that provides a manual phase adjustment of over 60 degree range by use of an external trim resistor.
Large input signal capability, ultra low input voltage noise and the digital phase shift control via RS-232 communication line make the DPS to be an ideal candidate for ultra sensitive phase measurements. The DPS can find a number of applications in such areas as radar/sonar systems, sound and speech synthesis and signal intelligence.
DIGITAL PHASE SHIFTERS PROVIDE
• Wide Supply Voltage Range: +/- 9 V to +/- 18 V
• Maximum Power Consumption: 0.6 W
• Maximum Output Voltage Swing: +/- 5 V (peak)
• Maximum Output Current: 30 mA (peak)
• Maximum Input Voltage Noise: 14 nV/√Hz (typically 8 nV√Hz)
• Operational frequency range: +/- 15 % off the central frequency
• Input/Output Resistance: 50 Ohm
• Unity gain (at 50 Ohm source impedance and 50 Ohm load)
• Operation Temperature: – 40 to + 85 deg C
• THD less than 0.01 % (at +/- 1 V output voltage swing and 50 Ohm load)
• Dimensions: (L x W x H): 53 mm x 32 mm x 12 mm
The Digital Phase Shifter includes a software package with serial interface libraries and a Graphics User Interface application, providing manual and automatic control of the DPS. The software has been prepared for various software package management systems, supports both 32 and 64 bit operating systems, and is able to execute on various processor architectures.
Supported platforms include:
• Microsoft Windows: 2000, 2003, 2008, XP, Vista, and 7
• Mac OS X: Release 5.1 or higher
• GNU/Linux distributions: an installable package is provided in formats employed by package management utilities of the main Linux distributions
• Debian, Ubuntu deb: amd64, armel, i386, and ia64
• Gentoo ebuild: amd64 and x86
• OpenSUSE, Fedora RPM: x86/64 and x86
• Slackware tgz: x86/64 and x86
Solaris: Intel based Solaris systems
General: Those for Sun, IBM, HP Unix
Trinity Research Labs have been registered with The Australian Communication and Media Authority and have been issued a supplier code. All its products are EMC (C-Tick) compliant.